Crafty Supermarket’s holiday show is huge: More than 100 handmade vendors will come from all around the Midwest to show their best work to thousands of shoppers. To help us make the craft show the best it can be, we enlist volunteers and work with sponsors — and here’s how you can get involved:
At our big holiday show on Nov. 19 at the UC Rec Center, we have a couple of opportunities for people to help out. (And when you assist us for a couple hours, you’ll get one of our famous swag bags!) Volunteers help us out in one of four areas: helping shoppers know where everything is, assisting vendors who need a break, helping load in at the beginning of the day and cleaning up at the end of the day. You can learn more and submit your info here. We’ll get back to you a few weeks before the show with the schedule. (Note that we sometimes get more volunteer applications than we can take, but we’ll get back to you either way!)
We work with all kinds of local organizations who love handmade and want to help spread the word. From arts nonprofits and landmark institutions to DIY shops and enterprises, if you support the maker movement, we’d love to work with you! Learn more about partnership opportunities here and don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have an idea of how we can work together!
It’s just days until Christmas. Do you know where your presents are? If you don’t already have all your shopping done, there’s no need to panic! We put together this guide for you of our favorite stores in Cincinnati where you can shop for last-minute handmade gifts. We also recommend checking out all the places in town where you can buy craft supplies — gift certificates for crafty classes make great gifts!
PS! We’re taking December off to relax with our friends and families, but in mid-January we’ll release the application info for our spring craft show, which will be May 7, 2016, at the Clifton Cultural Arts Center in Cincinnati’s beautiful Gaslight District! If you’re interested in being a vendor at the show, keep following our website, Facebook or Twitter and sign up for our e-newsletter to be notified of when we post the application! You may also like our handy crafter FAQ here.
Buy Handmade in Cincinnati for Christmas
- 1401 Reading Road, Over-the-Rhine
- Monday, Dec. 21: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 22: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 23: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 24: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The Hoop and Needle
- 4019 Hamilton Ave., Northside
- Tuesday, Dec. 22: noon to 6 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 23: noon to 6 p.m.
- 2010 Madison Road, O’Bryonville
- Monday, Dec. 21: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 22: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 23: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 24: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Lentz and Co.
- 339 Ludlow Ave., Clifton
- Monday, Dec. 21: 2 to 7 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 22: 2 to 7 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 23: 2 to 7 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 24: 2 to 6 p.m.
- 1201 Vine St., Over-the-Rhine
- Monday, Dec. 21: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 22: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 23: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 24: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- 4577 Hamilton Ave., Northside
- Monday, Dec. 21: call to check, Tuesday, Dec. 22: call to check, Wednesday, Dec. 23: noon to 9 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 24: noon to 6 p.m.
Park + Vine
- 1202 Main St., Over-the-Rhine
- Monday, Dec. 21: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 22: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 23: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 24: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Redtree Art Gallery and Coffee Shop
- 3210 Madison Road, Oakley
- Monday, Dec. 21: 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 22: 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 23: 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 24: 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Rock Paper Scissors
- 1301 Main St., Over-the-Rhine
- Tuesday, Dec. 22: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 23: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 24: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
And don’t forget local art museums’ gift shops!
21c Museum Hotel
- 609 Walnut St., Downtown
- Every day: 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Cincinnati Art Museum
- 953 Eden Park Drive, Mount Adams
- Tuesday, Dec. 22: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 23: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 24: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Contemporary Arts Center
- 44 E. Sixth St., Downtown
- Monday, Dec. 21: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 23: 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 24: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Taft Museum of Art
- 316 Pike St., Downtown
- Tuesday, Dec. 22: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 23: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 24: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Are you super excited for the spring Crafty Supermarket show? We sure are, and so are our 50+ awesome crafters, artists and designers! Here’s all the info you need to have a successful shopping trip, including insider info, a parking map and detailed directions.
What: Crafty Supermarket’s Spring Show!
When: 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday, April 25, 2015
Where: Clifton Cultural Arts Center, 3711 Clifton Ave., Cincinnati, OH 45220
Cost: Free to the public!
The Clifton Cultural Arts Center in the Gaslight District is at 3711 Clifton Ave., Cincinnati, OH 45220. It’s right at the corner of Clifton and McAlpin avenues. The 17, 19, 51 and 78 buses have stops within a half-mile of the CCAC. Get more details at go-metro.com.
Here are detailed Google Maps directions:
The closest parking is in the Clifton Rec Center lot right behind the CCAC. You can also park by the Fairview German School — enter from McAlpin Avenue or from Clifton Avenue — or use the lot behind the Church of the Nazarene on Clifton Avenue. There’s also plenty of free street parking around the Clifton Gaslight neighborhood. If you’d like to take a stroll, the CCAC is only about a 15-minute walk from the Ludlow business district, where there are also public parking lots. Here’s a map of where our shoppers can park:
- Got a wheelchair or a stroller? There’s an elevator on the west side of the building off the driveway between the CCAC and the recreation center.
- Want one of our 100 swag bags? Plan to arrive early! By the time the show starts at 11 a.m., we usually have a line around the block.
- If you arrive at the CCAC before the show opens at 11 a.m., please wait outside. People will still be setting up their displays, and things can get a little crazy in there!
- Many of our vendors accept credit cards, but not all of them do, so we recommend bringing cash to the show. There’s no ATM on site, but there are plenty on Ludlow Avenue, about a half-mile south of the CCAC.
- Want to shop in peace? We totally understand—some folks just don’t like crowds. If you prefer to leisurely peruse all our vendors’ wares, come in the afternoon! Things usually slow down after 3 p.m. Our vendors bring plenty of stock, so you don’t have to worry about people being sold out!
- We love animals, but please don’t bring your dog inside the CCAC during the show unless it is a service animal, of course!
- If you’ve got kids in strollers, we recommend coming to the show after the initial rush. Things can get very crowded, which can be overwhelming for tots!
- If you wanna get crafty, we’ll have free hands-on craft activities all day, led by the Contemporary Arts Center in the first half of the show and the Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County’s MakerSpace in the afternoon.
- Music at the show will be provided all day by DJ Ben Davis of Bad Veins.
- We’ve got six local food vendors at the show with tasty treats!
Do you have all your shopping done? No need to panic! These local stores have handmade gifts and extended holiday hours!
The 90 awesome makers who will be at our holiday craft show represent 13 states.
A handful of our past vendors are finalists this year! Your vote can help pick the audience favorite.
All makers struggle to price their work fairly, and often undersell themselves. We realize this isn't always apparent to shoppers at craft shows, so here's an inside look at the process of pricing handmade work.