Crafty Supermarket, Saturday, April 29.
Spring is here for real this time! Last month was just a trick on all of us. Get out and enjoy it before it becomes too hot for life which could basically happen tomorrow. There’s so much to do.
- Manifest Gallery: Two day model session on April 1-2.
- Blink Artist Info Session: BLINK is a unique and innovative community event. This session will allow participants to meet the planning team to learn more about the festival and how to submit your design concepts for interactive, light-based sculpture. Thursday, April 6.
- The City Flea: Check out their mini-preview market at 21c Museum Hotel on Saturday, April 8.
- Thunder-Sky Inc.: Otherwise: featuring work by Keith Benjamin, Ben Clark Richard Emery Nickolson opening Saturday, April 8.
- Art & Poetry: Browse the art bazaar in the Farmers Market Farm Shed and the Poetry Slam competition on Sunday, April 9.
- CAC: One Night One Craft: Wear Your Politics: Join artist C. Sprang for a second night of exploring the political commentary behind Andrea Bowers’ exhibition on Thursday, April 13.
- AIGA Cincinnati April Liquid Courage: PICTUREMUSIC Studio Party: take a tour of one of Cincinnati’s best kept secrets, PICTUREMUSIC. Network with other designers and makers from all over the city on Thursday, April 20.
- Macy’s Family Festival: You, Me and Everyone We See where you will get to explore your family identity while discovering our similarities and celebrate our differences on Saturday, April 22.
- Art on Vine: A monthly local fine arts and handmade sale at Rhinegeist Brewery. Next event is on Sunday, April 23.
- Crafty Supermarket Spring Show!!! The vendor list will make you drool! Start planning now and invite your friends for a fun day of shopping and snacking on Saturday, April 29.
This was the toughest show to judge so far. Exactly 200 applications were submitted, with only 50 spots available, there were tons of tough choices made. We found a good balance between new makers, old favorites and a wide range of categories including home decor, jewelry, paper goods, handmade beauty products, kid stuff, fiber, and ceramics just to name a few. Check out the below stats about the upcoming show and more importantly, check out the vendor list and get your shopping list ready! See you on April 29th at the Clifton Cultural Arts Center!
- 28% of the makers are selling at Crafty Supermarket for the first time
- 36% of the makers are from out of state
- 49% of the makers are from Cincinnati
- 85% of the maker businesses are powered by badass women
Here are some highlights!
Lucca Laser Workshop
Leigh Cox Illustration
Spring is coming! Here are several reasons to leave the house and get out into the world again!
- Essex Studio Spring Art Walk: wander the halls of Essex Studio and meet artists in their studios studios, enjoy snacks, and live music. Friday, Mar. 3 & Saturday, Mar 4.
- Craft Menagerie at Bockfest: this awesome show features 20 local artists set up inside Arnold’s Bar and Grill Saturday, Mar. 4.
- Gallery Askew: Proof. Works by Rick Mallette: this new gallery space in Camp Washington is featuring drawings and paintings by Rick Mallette over the past 30 years. He is a Cincinnati gem. Opening Saturday, Mar. 18.
- Creative Encounters: Woodblock Prints: Cincinnati Art Museum: get inspired by the exhibition, Transcending Reality: The Woodcuts of Kosaka Gajin before creating your own on Sunday, Mar. 19.
- Art on Vine at Rhinegiest featuring fine art & handmade goods for sale from 60+ local Cincinnati Artists on Sunday, Mar. 19.
- CCAC Sunset Salons: Coffee: Wednesday, Mar. 22.
- AIGA Cincinnati + WomenUp: Words of Wisdom: Hosted and sponsored by Spicefire, this event honors Women’s History Month with proceeds from the art sales going to Girls with Pearls. Opening reception Friday, Mar. 31.
Did we miss something awesome? Shoot an email over!
February is a short month but the cold can make it feel looooooong. Fill your calendar with tons of art,craft and design events so you can fast forward to spring! If we missed anything good, let us know!
- Carl Solway Gallery: Richards, Kwong, Jonsson: meet the artists during the opening reception on Friday, Feb. 3.
- Cincinnati Art Museum: Family First Saturday: Black History Month: Celebrate the great African American artists at CAM with a fun-filled day for the whole family on Saturday, Feb 4.
- RHEINOceramics Studio Sale: Studio sale and pop-up shop featuring several talented handmade artists from the Cincinnati area. Saturday, Feb. 4.
- Rhinegeist Charitable Suds: Indigo Hippo: Rhinegeist brewery is committed to giving back to the community. Every Wednesday evening they give a portion of their proceeds to a local nonprofit and on Wednesday, Feb. 8 they are giving proceeds to our friends at Indigo Hippo!
- Midwest Craft Con 2017: You may still be able to get tickets to attend this spectacular three day retreat for mid-career crafters, makers and creative business owners. Includes inspiration keynote speakers who know their stuff! February 10-12.
- CAC: Opening Celebration of two exhibitions– Noel Andersons: Blak Oigin Moment and Andrea Bowers: Womxn Workers of the World Unite! Friday, Feb. 10
- DAAP Galleries: The Personal is Political: Feminist Art from Sara M. and Mi. Opening reception Thursday, Feb. 16.
- Art on Vine : Art show featuring fine art and handmade goods at Rhinegeist. Sunday, Feb. 19.
We are excited to return to the Clifton Cultural Arts Center for our spring edition of Crafty Supermarket on Saturday, April 29th. If you are a shopper, mark your calendars and if you are a maker get your application in by March 1. Do you know someone who should apply? Send them our way! Have you applied in the past but didn’t get in? Don’t be discouraged, we are always trying to mix up our vendors for each show so this could be your year!
Check out the application details here.
CAC: One Night One Craft
If you are looking for some fun art, craft, design events around the city to hold you over until Crafty Supermarket on April 29th, here’s a great list! Don’t forget, applications for our spring show open on January 15th. Join our mailing list for an update or follow us Facebook or Instagram. Did we miss something awesome? Let us know.
I know first-hand how crazy the holiday craft show season is for makers. Every weekend is another show in another city (or two!), and last-minute orders keep flowing in as you try your best to keep local shops stocked. Most crafters I know take January off entirely, and they totally deserve it.
But once February rolls around, it’s time to start planning for the year ahead. And that’s why I and two other craft show organizers started Midwest Craft Con, a three-day creative business conference.
It’s part conference, part relaxing retreat and part slumber party. We bring in craft business experts and artists from all over the Midwest and the continent to Columbus, Ohio, to talk about the ins and outs of running a craft business and share their experiences. (Our keynotes this year —Yao Cheng of Columbus, Chris Glass of Cincinnati and Jen Hewett of San Francisco — are major.) Our sessions are mainly aimed at what we call mid-career crafters: People who have been running their creative businesses for at least a year or two who want to take it to the next level. We also allow lots of “craftivity” time for all the attendees to get to know each other and get crafty. This year’s event had karaoke, a crafty spelling bee and a crafting competition, and we’ve got more surprises in store for 2017.
Midwest Craft Con will be February 10-12, 2017, at the Hyatt Regency in Columbus, and the DIY spirit lives on year-round in the private Facebook group for conners. As you wrap up 2016, consider making a tax-deductible investment in your creative business for the new year. You can get your tickets right here!
Christmas will be here before you know it. Do you have all your presents lined up yet? We put together this guide of our favorite stores in Cincinnati that sell handmade goods. Check their websites for holiday hours! We also recommend checking out all the places in town where you can buy craft supplies — gift certificates for crafty classes make great gifts!
PS! We’re taking December off to relax with our friends and families, but in mid-January we’ll release the application info for our spring craft show, which is April 29, 2017, at the Clifton Cultural Arts Center in Cincinnati’s beautiful Gaslight District. If you’re interested in being a vendor at the show, keep following our website, Facebook or Twitter and sign up for our e-newsletter to be notified of when we post the application! Also read our handy crafter FAQ here.
Places to buy handmade gifts in Cincinnati
Handzy Shop + Studio
- 15 W. Pike St., Covington, KY; (859) 261-0493
- 1401 Reading Road, Over-the-Rhine; 513-723-1901
The Hoop and Needle
- 4019 Hamilton Ave., Northside; 513-283-0580
- 2010 Madison Road, O’Bryonville; 513-321-3750
- 1301 Main St., Over-the-Rhine; 513-918-4917
Lentz and Co.
- 339 Ludlow Ave., Clifton; 513-739-0193
- 1201 Vine St., Over-the-Rhine; 513-533-1974
- 4577 Hamilton Ave., Northside; 513-542-4577
Redtree Art Gallery and Coffee Shop
- 3210 Madison Road, Oakley; 513-321-8733
- 11153 Main St., Sharonville; (513) 652-8539
Queen City Clay
- 3130 Wasson Road, Hyde Park; (866) GET-CLAY
Your Friends & Neighbors
- 2803 Woodburn Ave., East Walnut Hills; (513) 258-8461
And don’t forget local art museums’ gift shops!
21c Museum Hotel
- 609 Walnut St., Downtown; 513-578-6600
Cincinnati Art Museum
- 953 Eden Park Drive, Mount Adams; 877-472-4226
Contemporary Arts Center
- 44 E. Sixth St., Downtown; 513-345-8400
Taft Museum of Art
- 316 Pike St., Downtown; 513-241-0343