Spring is coming! Here are several reasons to leave the house and get out into the world again!
- Essex Studio Spring Art Walk: wander the halls of Essex Studio and meet artists in their studios studios, enjoy snacks, and live music. Friday, Mar. 3 & Saturday, Mar 4.
- Craft Menagerie at Bockfest: this awesome show features 20 local artists set up inside Arnold’s Bar and Grill Saturday, Mar. 4.
- Gallery Askew: Proof. Works by Rick Mallette: this new gallery space in Camp Washington is featuring drawings and paintings by Rick Mallette over the past 30 years. He is a Cincinnati gem. Opening Saturday, Mar. 18.
- Creative Encounters: Woodblock Prints: Cincinnati Art Museum: get inspired by the exhibition, Transcending Reality: The Woodcuts of Kosaka Gajin before creating your own on Sunday, Mar. 19.
- Art on Vine at Rhinegiest featuring fine art & handmade goods for sale from 60+ local Cincinnati Artists on Sunday, Mar. 19.
- CCAC Sunset Salons: Coffee: Wednesday, Mar. 22.
- AIGA Cincinnati + WomenUp: Words of Wisdom: Hosted and sponsored by Spicefire, this event honors Women’s History Month with proceeds from the art sales going to Girls with Pearls. Opening reception Friday, Mar. 31.
Did we miss something awesome? Shoot an email over!
February is a short month but the cold can make it feel looooooong. Fill your calendar with tons of art,craft and design events so you can fast forward to spring! If we missed anything good, let us know!
- Carl Solway Gallery: Richards, Kwong, Jonsson: meet the artists during the opening reception on Friday, Feb. 3.
- Cincinnati Art Museum: Family First Saturday: Black History Month: Celebrate the great African American artists at CAM with a fun-filled day for the whole family on Saturday, Feb 4.
- RHEINOceramics Studio Sale: Studio sale and pop-up shop featuring several talented handmade artists from the Cincinnati area. Saturday, Feb. 4.
- Rhinegeist Charitable Suds: Indigo Hippo: Rhinegeist brewery is committed to giving back to the community. Every Wednesday evening they give a portion of their proceeds to a local nonprofit and on Wednesday, Feb. 8 they are giving proceeds to our friends at Indigo Hippo!
- Midwest Craft Con 2017: You may still be able to get tickets to attend this spectacular three day retreat for mid-career crafters, makers and creative business owners. Includes inspiration keynote speakers who know their stuff! February 10-12.
- CAC: Opening Celebration of two exhibitions– Noel Andersons: Blak Oigin Moment and Andrea Bowers: Womxn Workers of the World Unite! Friday, Feb. 10
- DAAP Galleries: The Personal is Political: Feminist Art from Sara M. and Mi. Opening reception Thursday, Feb. 16.
- Art on Vine : Art show featuring fine art and handmade goods at Rhinegeist. Sunday, Feb. 19.
We are excited to return to the Clifton Cultural Arts Center for our spring edition of Crafty Supermarket on Saturday, April 29th. If you are a shopper, mark your calendars and if you are a maker get your application in by March 1. Do you know someone who should apply? Send them our way! Have you applied in the past but didn’t get in? Don’t be discouraged, we are always trying to mix up our vendors for each show so this could be your year!
Check out the application details here.
CAC: One Night One Craft
If you are looking for some fun art, craft, design events around the city to hold you over until Crafty Supermarket on April 29th, here’s a great list! Don’t forget, applications for our spring show open on January 15th. Join our mailing list for an update or follow us Facebook or Instagram. Did we miss something awesome? Let us know.
I know first-hand how crazy the holiday craft show season is for makers. Every weekend is another show in another city (or two!), and last-minute orders keep flowing in as you try your best to keep local shops stocked. Most crafters I know take January off entirely, and they totally deserve it.
But once February rolls around, it’s time to start planning for the year ahead. And that’s why I and two other craft show organizers started Midwest Craft Con, a three-day creative business conference.
It’s part conference, part relaxing retreat and part slumber party. We bring in craft business experts and artists from all over the Midwest and the continent to Columbus, Ohio, to talk about the ins and outs of running a craft business and share their experiences. (Our keynotes this year —Yao Cheng of Columbus, Chris Glass of Cincinnati and Jen Hewett of San Francisco — are major.) Our sessions are mainly aimed at what we call mid-career crafters: People who have been running their creative businesses for at least a year or two who want to take it to the next level. We also allow lots of “craftivity” time for all the attendees to get to know each other and get crafty. This year’s event had karaoke, a crafty spelling bee and a crafting competition, and we’ve got more surprises in store for 2017.
Midwest Craft Con will be February 10-12, 2017, at the Hyatt Regency in Columbus, and the DIY spirit lives on year-round in the private Facebook group for conners. As you wrap up 2016, consider making a tax-deductible investment in your creative business for the new year. You can get your tickets right here!
Christmas will be here before you know it. Do you have all your presents lined up yet? We put together this guide of our favorite stores in Cincinnati that sell handmade goods. Check their websites for holiday hours! We also recommend checking out all the places in town where you can buy craft supplies — gift certificates for crafty classes make great gifts!
PS! We’re taking December off to relax with our friends and families, but in mid-January we’ll release the application info for our spring craft show, which is April 29, 2017, at the Clifton Cultural Arts Center in Cincinnati’s beautiful Gaslight District. If you’re interested in being a vendor at the show, keep following our website, Facebook or Twitter and sign up for our e-newsletter to be notified of when we post the application! Also read our handy crafter FAQ here.
Places to buy handmade gifts in Cincinnati
Handzy Shop + Studio
- 15 W. Pike St., Covington, KY; (859) 261-0493
- 1401 Reading Road, Over-the-Rhine; 513-723-1901
The Hoop and Needle
- 4019 Hamilton Ave., Northside; 513-283-0580
- 2010 Madison Road, O’Bryonville; 513-321-3750
- 1301 Main St., Over-the-Rhine; 513-918-4917
Lentz and Co.
- 339 Ludlow Ave., Clifton; 513-739-0193
- 1201 Vine St., Over-the-Rhine; 513-533-1974
- 4577 Hamilton Ave., Northside; 513-542-4577
Redtree Art Gallery and Coffee Shop
- 3210 Madison Road, Oakley; 513-321-8733
- 11153 Main St., Sharonville; (513) 652-8539
Queen City Clay
- 3130 Wasson Road, Hyde Park; (866) GET-CLAY
Your Friends & Neighbors
- 2803 Woodburn Ave., East Walnut Hills; (513) 258-8461
And don’t forget local art museums’ gift shops!
21c Museum Hotel
- 609 Walnut St., Downtown; 513-578-6600
Cincinnati Art Museum
- 953 Eden Park Drive, Mount Adams; 877-472-4226
Contemporary Arts Center
- 44 E. Sixth St., Downtown; 513-345-8400
Taft Museum of Art
- 316 Pike St., Downtown; 513-241-0343
Even though the holiday Crafty Supermarket has come to a close, there are still plenty of ways to buy handmade! Here’s our big monthly list of things to do in Cincinnati in December. (And check out our list of Midwest craft shows to visit if you’re on the road this month!)
- Holiday Art Walk: Essex Studios opens its doors to the public, and hosts the Clay Alliance Holiday Sale, on Friday and Saturday, Dec. 2 and 3.
- Covington Night Bazaar: Shop at the Renaissance Covington the evenings of Friday and Saturday, Dec. 2 and 3
- Findlay Market Holiday Market: Shop with seasonal vendors on Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 3 and 4.
- CAC Makerspace: Holiday Party Kitchen Chemist: Learn some molecular gastronomy tips at the Contemporary Arts Center on Wednesday, Dec. 7.
- Core Clay Holiday Studio Sale: Love ceramics? You’ll love to be here Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 10 and 11.
- Art on Vine: The holiday gift sale is happening at Rhinegeist on Sunday, Dec. 11.
- Indigo Hippo Fundraiser: Celebrate this art nonprofit at the Woodward Theater on Tuesday, Dec. 13.
- City Flea: Cozy up to this market at Washington Park in OTR on Saturday, Dec. 17.
- Craft Menagerie: This semiannual craft show takes over Arnolds on Saturday, Dec. 17.
- Mockbee Holiday Fair: Shop at the Mockbee the evenings of Wednesday and Thursday, Dec. 21 and 22.
Attention crafters and makers: Applications will open in January for our spring show on April 29, 2017, at the Clifton Cultural Arts Center.
Holy tired Batman! We are still recovering from an awesome show but we wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who made our holiday edition of Crafty Supermarket a success. Here goes!
- First thanks to so many shoppers who braved the cold and followed us to a new location! We saw so many familiar faces and met many new fans. We’d love to know how you liked the new venue — if you can spare a minute, please fill out our shopper survey!
- Thanks you to our 130 indie craft vendors. The talent packed in that room was so inspiring! We had many local favorites and lots of out of town vendors who made the trip to our awesome city. Thanks for choosing us!
- To our trusty DJ Ben Davis who always plays just the right tunes for shopping, we love you.
- We totes loved our new tote designed by Jodi Lynn’s Emporium of Doodles and carefully printed by one of our AWESOME sponsors DIY Printing. Thank you both for being rad.
- We couldn’t survive without our food vendors! Thanks to Dojo Gelato, Macaron Bar, Frittle Candy, La Terza Coffee, Red Sesame Korean BBQ, Street Chef Brigade, Fireside Pizza, and Best Thing Smokin’.
- Thank you to our sponsors for supporting this show and believing in the maker movement. All of our sponsors are pretty amazing businesses who help make our city great! Thanks for what you do and for helping us do our thang.
- We also had tons of help from our volunteers. Thank you for carrying, shopping, refilling water bottles, relieving vendors, eating, dancing, and smiling! We couldn’t do this without you. Special thanks to Kate, Lauren, and Stephanie who were there with us all day.
- Thanks to UC Rec Center for taking a chance on our crazy show!
- Last of all let’s all give a special thanks to Grace Dobush (AKA Gayle) for all of the blood, sweat, and tears that she’s poured into Crafty Supermarket over the past 7 years. She is the best partner in crime and things are not going to be the same without her but I (Chris) will do the best I can to carry on this awesome torch. There will definitely be typos in future programs without her watchful eye, very awkward television appearances and more! Grace is moving to Germany in March so if you see her around town, give her a hug, wish her well but also make her feel guilty as hell. :) Here’s a picture of us at dinner after the show feeling delirious.
Don’t forget to mark your calendars for April 29, 2017! We’ll be back at the Clifton Cultural Arts Center for our spring show just in time for Mother’s Day shopping. Vendor applications will open mid-January so stay tuned. Sign up for our mailing list if you want regular updates. We won’t spam you, promise!
Here are some favorite photos we found out there in the internets: