Let’s get real, we just have this show so we can invite our favorite food vendors over for a picnic! We have everything you need to fuel your handmade shopping day on Saturday, April 29 at the Clifton Cultural Arts Center.
Best Thing Smokin‘
Fireside Pizza Wagon
Street Chef Brigade
Crafty Supermarket, Saturday, April 29.
Spring is here for real this time! Last month was just a trick on all of us. Get out and enjoy it before it becomes too hot for life which could basically happen tomorrow. There’s so much to do.
- Manifest Gallery: Two day model session on April 1-2.
- Blink Artist Info Session: BLINK is a unique and innovative community event. This session will allow participants to meet the planning team to learn more about the festival and how to submit your design concepts for interactive, light-based sculpture. Thursday, April 6.
- The City Flea: Check out their mini-preview market at 21c Museum Hotel on Saturday, April 8.
- Thunder-Sky Inc.: Otherwise: featuring work by Keith Benjamin, Ben Clark Richard Emery Nickolson opening Saturday, April 8.
- Art & Poetry: Browse the art bazaar in the Farmers Market Farm Shed and the Poetry Slam competition on Sunday, April 9.
- CAC: One Night One Craft: Wear Your Politics: Join artist C. Sprang for a second night of exploring the political commentary behind Andrea Bowers’ exhibition on Thursday, April 13.
- AIGA Cincinnati April Liquid Courage: PICTUREMUSIC Studio Party: take a tour of one of Cincinnati’s best kept secrets, PICTUREMUSIC. Network with other designers and makers from all over the city on Thursday, April 20.
- Macy’s Family Festival: You, Me and Everyone We See where you will get to explore your family identity while discovering our similarities and celebrate our differences on Saturday, April 22.
- Art on Vine: A monthly local fine arts and handmade sale at Rhinegeist Brewery. Next event is on Sunday, April 23.
- Crafty Supermarket Spring Show!!! The vendor list will make you drool! Start planning now and invite your friends for a fun day of shopping and snacking on Saturday, April 29.
This was the toughest show to judge so far. Exactly 200 applications were submitted, with only 50 spots available, there were tons of tough choices made. We found a good balance between new makers, old favorites and a wide range of categories including home decor, jewelry, paper goods, handmade beauty products, kid stuff, fiber, and ceramics just to name a few. Check out the below stats about the upcoming show and more importantly, check out the vendor list and get your shopping list ready! See you on April 29th at the Clifton Cultural Arts Center!
- 28% of the makers are selling at Crafty Supermarket for the first time
- 36% of the makers are from out of state
- 49% of the makers are from Cincinnati
- 85% of the maker businesses are powered by badass women
Here are some highlights!
Lucca Laser Workshop
Leigh Cox Illustration
Spring is coming! Here are several reasons to leave the house and get out into the world again!
- Essex Studio Spring Art Walk: wander the halls of Essex Studio and meet artists in their studios studios, enjoy snacks, and live music. Friday, Mar. 3 & Saturday, Mar 4.
- Craft Menagerie at Bockfest: this awesome show features 20 local artists set up inside Arnold’s Bar and Grill Saturday, Mar. 4.
- Gallery Askew: Proof. Works by Rick Mallette: this new gallery space in Camp Washington is featuring drawings and paintings by Rick Mallette over the past 30 years. He is a Cincinnati gem. Opening Saturday, Mar. 18.
- Creative Encounters: Woodblock Prints: Cincinnati Art Museum: get inspired by the exhibition, Transcending Reality: The Woodcuts of Kosaka Gajin before creating your own on Sunday, Mar. 19.
- Art on Vine at Rhinegiest featuring fine art & handmade goods for sale from 60+ local Cincinnati Artists on Sunday, Mar. 19.
- CCAC Sunset Salons: Coffee: Wednesday, Mar. 22.
- AIGA Cincinnati + WomenUp: Words of Wisdom: Hosted and sponsored by Spicefire, this event honors Women’s History Month with proceeds from the art sales going to Girls with Pearls. Opening reception Friday, Mar. 31.
Did we miss something awesome? Shoot an email over!
We are excited to return to the Clifton Cultural Arts Center for our spring edition of Crafty Supermarket on Saturday, April 29th. If you are a shopper, mark your calendars and if you are a maker get your application in by March 1. Do you know someone who should apply? Send them our way! Have you applied in the past but didn’t get in? Don’t be discouraged, we are always trying to mix up our vendors for each show so this could be your year!
Check out the application details here.
Holy tired Batman! We are still recovering from an awesome show but we wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who made our holiday edition of Crafty Supermarket a success. Here goes!
- First thanks to so many shoppers who braved the cold and followed us to a new location! We saw so many familiar faces and met many new fans. We’d love to know how you liked the new venue — if you can spare a minute, please fill out our shopper survey!
- Thanks you to our 130 indie craft vendors. The talent packed in that room was so inspiring! We had many local favorites and lots of out of town vendors who made the trip to our awesome city. Thanks for choosing us!
- To our trusty DJ Ben Davis who always plays just the right tunes for shopping, we love you.
- We totes loved our new tote designed by Jodi Lynn’s Emporium of Doodles and carefully printed by one of our AWESOME sponsors DIY Printing. Thank you both for being rad.
- We couldn’t survive without our food vendors! Thanks to Dojo Gelato, Macaron Bar, Frittle Candy, La Terza Coffee, Red Sesame Korean BBQ, Street Chef Brigade, Fireside Pizza, and Best Thing Smokin’.
- Thank you to our sponsors for supporting this show and believing in the maker movement. All of our sponsors are pretty amazing businesses who help make our city great! Thanks for what you do and for helping us do our thang.
- We also had tons of help from our volunteers. Thank you for carrying, shopping, refilling water bottles, relieving vendors, eating, dancing, and smiling! We couldn’t do this without you. Special thanks to Kate, Lauren, and Stephanie who were there with us all day.
- Thanks to UC Rec Center for taking a chance on our crazy show!
- Last of all let’s all give a special thanks to Grace Dobush (AKA Gayle) for all of the blood, sweat, and tears that she’s poured into Crafty Supermarket over the past 7 years. She is the best partner in crime and things are not going to be the same without her but I (Chris) will do the best I can to carry on this awesome torch. There will definitely be typos in future programs without her watchful eye, very awkward television appearances and more! Grace is moving to Germany in March so if you see her around town, give her a hug, wish her well but also make her feel guilty as hell. :) Here’s a picture of us at dinner after the show feeling delirious.
Don’t forget to mark your calendars for April 29, 2017! We’ll be back at the Clifton Cultural Arts Center for our spring show just in time for Mother’s Day shopping. Vendor applications will open mid-January so stay tuned. Sign up for our mailing list if you want regular updates. We won’t spam you, promise!
Here are some favorite photos we found out there in the internets:
You’ve been waiting, and Crafty Supermarket’s big holiday craft show is finally here! We’ve got 130 crafters, artists and designers selling their stuff, plus a live DJ, delicious local food inside and outside, and hands-on craft activities. We’ll see you uptown at the University of Cincinnati’s Rec Center — bring your friends, your family and your walking shoes!
Make a whole day of it — Corryville and University Heights have lots of delicious restaurants. Check out our insider guide for shoppers to see directions to our venue, parking info and other important details.
What: Crafty Supermarket’s Holiday Show (here’s the Facebook event)
When: 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 19, 2016
Where: UC Rec Center, 2820 Bearcat Way, Cincinnati, OH 45221
Cost: Free to the public!
At our big craft show this weekend, we’re going to have 130 vendors from around the country and great local food, but we also have some hands-on crafting opportunities with local arts organizations!
- ArtWorks: This arts organization (celebrating its 21st birthday this week!) will have button-making and coloring books.
- Cincinnati Art Museum: They’ll be selling memberships at the show — and tickets to the new Van Gogh exhibit will be in the 100 swag bags we give out at the beginning of the show!
- Contemporary Arts Center: The education department of the CAC always surprises us with hands-on activities such as jaunty hats and giftable goodies!
- Enjoy the Arts: They will be offering Pictures with Krampus, tying to their upcoming event with the Cincinnati Museum Center on Dec. 8, “A Krampus Carol.”
- Ensemble Theater: Members of the character crew will be joining us at Crafty Supermarket!
- Kneel to No One: Artists Jaimie Filer and Anthony Tank Mansfield are going to be creating two massive drawings throughout the day of the show, and they will raffle them off to lucky shoppers!
- Main Library MakerSpace: These fantastic makers will be bringing a button maker and other crafty supplies!
Jaimie Filer and Anthony Tank Mansfield